Volunteer car drivers
Within our Patient Transport Service, we have volunteer car drivers who help us provide an ambulance car service. These excellent volunteers and their vehicles have to meet specific requirements and they take many patients whose conditions allow them to sit in a car to their medical appointments in the region and further afield.
Our drivers play an essential role in providing patient care and we are always seeking new volunteers. For the patients they help, our drivers are the face of our service. Many will be travelling to hospital for the first time in years whereas others will make regular journeys. It can be stressful for the patient, irrespective of the number of times they have an appointment, so a friendly face and understanding attitude will always put them at ease.
This service is home-to-home and drivers become a regular part of someone’s life. For some, the journey may be their only trip out of their house for many weeks; so it's potentially a big responsibility which requires the highest levels of integrity.
Role type: Voluntary
Locations: Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire and parts of Essex
Length of application process: Applications can take up to six weeks
Expenses: Our volunteers are not paid for their time but do receive an allowance to compensate for driving expenses
Anyone can become a volunteer car driver but you must:
- be physically fit
- be aged between 18-70
- agree to a disclosure and barring service check (DBS). This was previously known as criminal records bureau disclosure or CRB
- have a current full driving licence with a maximum endorsement of three points on application
- have access to a clean, road worthy car with a minimum of four doors and front and rear seat belts
- undertake a short driving assessment with us, including Highway Code awareness
- be available mornings, afternoons or evenings for a minimum of four sessions (approximately two days) per week
- have fully comprehensive car insurance (on interview written confirmation that the insurance company has validated the insurance for this type of voluntary work will be needed)
- have a valid road tax and MOT for the vehicle to be used
- to attend an interview, where all the above information and proof of identify can be checked
Want to join the team?
If you feel you could become a volunteer car driver and would like an information pack, you can complete our online form to express your interest or alternatively, email your request to: ACS@eastamb.nhs.uk