Community first responders
Our community first responders are volunteers who are trained by us to attend certain types of emergency calls in the area where they live or work. Their aim is to reach a potential life threatening emergency in the first vital minutes before the ambulance crew arrives.
Their role is to help stabilise the patient and provide the appropriate care until the more highly skilled ambulance crew arrives on scene to take over the treatment.
Role type: Voluntary
Locations: All counties - Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Norfolk, Suffolk
Length of training: Intensive five-day training course. This is held over three consecutive weekends..
Anyone can become a community first responder but you must:
- be physically fit
- be aged between 18-70
- agree to a disclosure and barring service check (DBS). This was previously known as criminal records bureau disclosure or CRB.
- have a sympathetic, caring nature
- agree to undertake training, which we provide
- have a full driving licence and access to a road worthy car.
Want to join the team?
If you feel you could become a community first responder or a supporter and need more information, call 0345 601 3733 (01603 481220 out of hours).
You can complete our online form or please email your request for information to: ResponderAdmin@eastamb.nhs.uk.
Hear from someone already volunteering with us
If you would like to contact your community partnership manager directly, please email below:
Essex and West Suffolk
Community Response Manager, Jonathan Needle
Contact: 07710 340640
Norfolk, Waveney and East Suffolk
Community Response Manager, Andrew Barlow
Contact: 07717 375272
Cambridgeshire and military co-responders
Community Response Manager, Alex Laurent
Contact: 07512 193587
Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire and West Essex
Community Response Manager, Thomas Barker
Contact: 07596 337437
Not sure who to contact?
- For all general enquiries about CFRs, please contact the CRM team at EEASTCFRS@eastamb.nhs.uk. This is a shared mailbox for the CRM team
- For all recruitment enquiries, please contact ResponderAdmin@eastamb.nhs.uk
- For all CFR training queries, please contact email@example.com. This mailbox will be monitored by the training department.